Our History

Back in 1885, Thomas Henderson, a solicitor of Scottish heritage and the highest ethical values, opened an office in Williamstown – this was the genesis of the firm. In 1909, he entered into a partnership with Robert Ball at premises in Little Collins Street, Melbourne, then called Chancery Lane because of the concentration of legal offices there. The partnership of Henderson & Ball had commenced and it has continued ever since.
The firm remained in Little Collins Street until 1986. By that time Henderson and Ball also had branch offices in Camberwell and East Kew. In April 1986 all three offices were closed and the whole firm moved into new premises in High Street East Kew, from where the pactice continued for the next 20 years. In December 2005, the firm moved into new premises at 17 Cotham Road, Kew.
In December 2016 the firm moved to a newly refurbished premises at 5 Wellington Street, Kew.
Over the last 130 years there has always been a Robert Ball as a partner in the firm. The original Robert George Ball was joined in the partnership by his son Robert John Ball in 1939 and he, in turn had his son, the present Robert Ball, join the firm in 1968. The present partners are Robert Ball and Justin Lawrence who started in 1996.
We believe in stability–and we have 130 years of quality legal service behind us to show for it.

history1

Robert George Rowland Ball who initially went into partnership with Thomas Henderson

history2

Wallace John Ball brother of Robert George Ball, uncle of Robert John Ball and subsequently admintted to the then established partnership of Henderson and Ball

history3

Thomas Henderson who initially went into partnership with Robert George Ball

history4

Robert John Ball son of Robert George Ball and nephew of Wallace